Electric vehicles are becoming more appealing due to their lower operating costs, the growing number of models available, and growing worries about air quality and climate change.
There are different types of electric vehicles, including; battery-electric vehicles, plug-in hybrid electric vehicles, and extended-range electric vehicles.
And while the initial purchase price of an electric or plug-in hybrid car may be greater, the lower operating costs usually offset this.
Other Benefits of Buying an Electric Vehicle
Here are the other benefits of buying an electric vehicle that might convince you to make the shift:
- A full charge in a pure electric vehicle provides a usual range of more than 100 miles and costs around £4-6 at home and £8-10 at public charging stations. A 100-mile drive in a petrol or diesel car will cost roughly £13-16 in fuel, which is three to four times the cost of charging an electric vehicle. Owners who charge at home and have access to an off-peak nightly electricity pricing will save the most money.
- When compared to traditional automobiles, electric vehicles have fewer mechanical components, resulting in lower servicing and maintenance expenses.
- Vehicle excise duty is nil for pure electric vehicles.
- Plug-in cars that produce 75g/km CO2 or less, satisfy the Euro 6 emission standard, and have a zero-emission range of at least 20 miles are eligible for a 100 percent reduction in the London congestion charge. This zone might save a typical user over £2,000 each year.
- Plug-in vehicles have fewer or zero emissions, resulting in cheaper costs from clean air zones being introduced across the UK, including London’s ultra-low emission zone (ULEZ).
- Some municipalities and localities offer free parking for electric vehicles.
Need Support Buying an Electric Vehicle?
In an effort to save the environment, many governments and organizations are giving out incentives to convince people to choose what’s better for mother nature. Grants are available to help with the cost of purchasing and installing charging stations for qualifying plug-in vehicles.
The Office administers these awards for Zero-Emission Vehicles (OZEV). When a qualified car is acquired, the grant is automatically deducted from the retail price, so there is no additional paperwork to fill out.